Khaberni - Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen at the «Munich Security Conference» stated that US President Donald Trump's desire «remains unchanged» regarding controlling the autonomous island of Greenland under Copenhagen's sovereignty.
Frederiksen commented: «Unfortunately, I believe his desire still remains unchanged», in response to a question whether Trump still wants to claim Greenland.
Trump has not concealed this desire since his return to the White House a year ago, justifying it with national security concerns, and facing the presence of Russia and China in the Arctic Circle.
The American President's statements on this issue have caused severe tensions with the European Union, however, he publicly retreated from his threats last month, after he agreed to a «framework» for negotiations with NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte, aiming to give the United States more leverage in Greenland.
Joint Task Force
However, Frederiksen said during a discussion session on security in the Arctic region that «everyone is asking us if we think it is over? No, we do not think it is over», as reported by “Agence France-Presse”. Danish Prime Minister and Greenland's Prime Minister Jens Frederik Nielsen confirmed that the pressure being applied on the island's residents is «unacceptable», despite Nielsen suggesting that «a few steps have been made in the right direction».
A task force consisting of Greenland, Denmark, and the United States has been formed to discuss American concerns about the island. Details of the discussions have not been disclosed. Frederiksen said: «We now have a task force. We will see if we can find a solution... but of course, there are red lines that must not be crossed». This comes after the prime ministers of Denmark and Greenland met for about a quarter of an hour on Friday with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, on the sidelines of the «Munich Conference». Frederiksen described the meeting as «constructive».
British Aircraft Carrier
Against this backdrop of tension, the United Kingdom plans to deploy an aircraft carrier in the North Atlantic during this year, as revealed by Prime Minister Keir Starmer, in a «strong display» of force against Russian threats in the Arctic Circle.
Starmer said at the «Munich Security Conference»: «I announce that the United Kingdom will deploy a carrier strike group in the North Atlantic and Far North (Arctic Circle), this year, led by the aircraft carrier (HMS Prince of Wales)».
He noted that it will operate «alongside the United States, Canada, and other NATO members, in a strong display of our commitment to European-Atlantic security».
The Ministry of Defence clarified that the group would include Royal Navy warships, «F-35» fighter jets, and helicopters, in what has been named «Operation Firecrest». This operation will be a «strong show of force... to deter Russian aggression and protect vital underwater infrastructure».
The aircraft carrier «HMS Prince of Wales» is the largest ship in the Royal Navy fleet, and it is also expected that American aircraft will operate from its deck.
The operation will include thousands of personnel from all three branches of the armed forces, as per a statement from the British Ministry of Defence. It explained that the deployment is part of a NATO mission that began this week, «to enhance the alliance's security in a region where melting ice is opening new routes and increasing the risk of hostile state activities».
Intensifying Competition for the Arctic
Starmer affirmed that the UK must be ready to fight and not hesitate in doing so after «Russia has proven its capability for aggression». He emphasized that «the path ahead is clear and straightforward. We must strengthen our military power because it is the currency of our time», adding: «We need to be able to deter aggression, and yes, if necessary, we must be prepared to fight».
The Ministry of Defence stated that the deployment will enhance «NATO's deterrent capability in light of escalating Russian threats in the region», noting that «over the past two years, the number of Russian naval vessels threatening British waters has increased by 30 percent».
German Defence Minister Boris Pistorius also warned that Russia and China «are preparing to extend their military and economic influence» in the Arctic region.
Pistorius said at the «Munich Security Conference» that «in the event of an escalation in Europe, it is likely that Russia will use its Northern Fleet to open a second front, cut supply lines across the Atlantic, and threaten both sides of the Atlantic with nuclear submarines».
It was announced on Wednesday that Berlin would initially send four Eurofighter jets to participate in a NATO mission in the Arctic region. France also announced that it would deploy its aircraft carrier group in the area in 2026.



