*
الجمعة: 21 أغسطس 2026
  • 20 أغسطس 2026
  • 23:48
Vance Economic Pressure on Iran Changes Its Calculations Regarding the Agreement with Washington

Khaberni - Vice President J.D. Vance said on Thursday that the economic and military pressures on Iran have begun changing its calculations regarding the agreement Washington seeks to conclude with it, emphasizing that the United States will continue the economic pressure to achieve its goals.

Vance said that the United States has destroyed Iran's traditional military capabilities and exerted significant pressure on its military industry, adding that the past weeks have shown that Iranians felt the weight of the pressures much more than the Americans.

He confirmed that Washington is seeking to "create a new reality" that ensures Iran does not attempt to rebuild its nuclear facilities, pointing out that continued economic pressure will force Tehran to choose between keeping its economy "permanently choked" or establishing a better relationship with the West.

In relation to the Strait of Hormuz, Vance stated that the United States is working to secure the passage of more energy supplies, noting that it has, despite Iran targeting commercial ships, secured the exit of large quantities of oil and gas through the strait.

The U.S. Treasury Department announced on Thursday the addition of new individuals and entities to the sanctions list, including those associated with "Hezbollah" and the "Quds Force" of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, as part of measures targeting networks associated with financing terrorism and Iranian activities.

The Treasury Department also updated the listing data of "Hezbollah" on the sanctions list, confirming its subjection to secondary sanctions under U.S. laws. This coincided with the issuance of licenses and the updating of frequently asked questions related to U.S. sanctions on Russia and Cuba.

The new sanctions come at a time when Washington is escalating its economic pressure on Tehran, as President Donald Trump threatened to impose "severe" economic consequences on any country that assists Iran or deals with it commercially, as part of what he described as the broadest campaign to isolate the Iranian economy.

Trump said that any country that allows its financial institutions, companies, airports, and government agencies to provide a "lifeline" to Iran will face economic measures, pointing to oil purchases, currency transfers, cash liquidity, exchange offices, ship registries, and shell companies as channels that must be stopped. President Trump did not specify the nature of the measures that Washington would take.

The new U.S. sanctions, announced by the Treasury Department, target individuals associated with "Hezbollah" and the Quds Force of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, as part of a broader campaign to pursue terrorist financing networks and circumvent sanctions.

Last week, U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bisent threatened to economically isolate Iran, while American movements indicate that Washington is expanding the use of secondary sanctions that may affect companies and countries that continue to do business with Tehran, especially buyers of Iranian oil.

These pressures come after months of war between the United States and Iran, and with the diplomatic path faltering, while Washington continues to tighten restrictions on Iranian oil exports and financial channels in an attempt to economically pressure Tehran.

مواضيع قد تعجبك