Khaberni - Britain announced that it had summoned the Israeli charge d'affaires and demanded a halt to a large settlement project in the occupied West Bank, as Israeli occupation authorities issued a tender for the construction of more than 1200 settlement units in the area.
Israel had given the green light in August for the "E1" settlement project, which spans approximately 12 square kilometers in the occupied West Bank, prompting international condemnation. At the time, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres said that it "threatens the viability of an entirely independent, sovereign, and geographically contiguous Palestinian state."
This project would further isolate East Jerusalem, which was occupied and annexed by Israel and is predominantly inhabited by Palestinians, from the West Bank.
British Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband described this move as "an unacceptable and destructive act," considering it "endangers the implementation of the two-state solution."
He said in a statement "The Israeli government must immediately halt the E1 plans, withdraw the tender, and stop all forms of settlement expansion."
He noted that he conveyed the message directly to his Israeli counterpart, Gideon Sa'ar, and the Israeli charge d'affaires was summoned to the Foreign Office.
The British government also pledged to reveal "a comprehensive set of measures" in the coming weeks, including sanctions targeting those involved in "illegal settlement expansion."
Miliband added, "Britain will not stand idly by and accept the destruction of the two-state solution."
The plan aims to build 3400 settlement units in the West Bank, a project that would bisect the West Bank and prevent the establishment of a potential Palestinian state.
The latest tender includes more than 1200 housing units, according to the Israeli non-governmental organization "Peace Now."
The organization stated that the Israeli Ministry of Housing issued the tender on August 18 and opened the bid submission immediately.
The final deadline for submitting applications is October 19, a week before the scheduled Israeli elections on October 27 of the same month.
The organization noted that these homes represent about one-third of the "E1" project and accused the government of attempting to advance its construction commitments before the elections.
Israel imposes strict restrictions on the movement of Palestinians in the West Bank, as they must obtain permits from the authorities to pass through checkpoints and enter East Jerusalem or Israeli areas.
Last year, Britain and France were among 21 countries that condemned Israel's approval of the project, considering it a violation of international law, and called on Israel to retract the decision.
Outside of East Jerusalem, about three million Palestinians live in the West Bank alongside approximately 500,000 Israelis who live in settlements that the United Nations considers illegal under international law.



